Marfield's roots began back in 1889. the building at 312 n 2nd Street originally served as a carriage house for the Ward Mansion. A portion of the building was torn down and in 1903 the building standing today was converted into a neighborhood tavern. When Esplanade Tavern opened its "doors" it was necessary to provide two separate entrances, one for the non-drinking patrons and one for the imbibers. Richard and Margaret Dubac took over in 1940 and operated a successful, well know, family business until 1981. The Dubac's influence can still be felt here today. The chef is still using their house dressing, and the customers continue coming back for it.